Level Ten for Food Knowledge Geek Out

I bought a new book today, one of which I am sure will be a full geeking out version of my already obsessive impulse to know everything there is to know about food! I am so excited! I purchased Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen" Harold McGee, who is actually going to be presenting at Powell Books on Burnside tomorrow in Portland, Oregon is a food writer about the mechanics of food, the history, biology, chemistry, and general altering of food... not altering in a way that suggests GMO, but rather... what really happens when you heat milk? What the hell is homogenization? and how can Europeans have milk in a cardboard container sitting on a shelf un-refrigerated? He answers all of this and a lot more.

I am excited to read it and have a deeper understanding of the physics of food. The whys and the whats of how of great food comes to be, why is it we prefer certain things over others? how do we balance acids in a sauce?.... He writes of all these things and more, certainly having this bank of trivia is bound to make anyone a better cook. And if, like a craftsman, we must know all the tools to be the best and most accomplished artisan.. then understanding all the properties in cuisine is essential to establishing the building blocks of creating something entirely unique, and solely of your own making.

What's my goal from reading such a large and insightful book?  The hope that my own knowledge will serve to be the sole source of inspiration with a true understanding of and guesstimate of what will become from a hand crafted dish, sans recipe.


Wish me luck!
Happy Reading :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.

 
Eat the Cake Too. Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul Tested by Blogger Templates.